Monday, July 19, 2010

Loving my mission


Picture from the park in Esperanza that Eric visited last week


This statue in the park is called "Club del Encuentro de Abuelos" which means Grandparents Club meeting. The man is holding a cup of mate, although it looks as though the straw has mostly broken off.


Another view of the park in Esperanza


A huge spider, "at least 6 inches across." It looks like it is probably at the top of a doorway. Thanks to Elder Eldred's family for sharing this photo.




Hey family, how's it going?!?!

Well, as usual, it's only been a week but a lot has happened. Firstly and the best part, is that we will have a baptism this Saturday! His name is Diego and he's a stud. He's in his early 20's and is a taxi driver. When we first met and talked to him, he loved the spirit he felt with us. He's a great guy and has now been to church 3 times in a row already. He has kids with his wife Maria, who is a member, but was inactive but is now going back to church. They're not married, but now have a marriage date for sometime in August!!! In case you're wondering, they are currently living in separate homes for the last little while until they can get married, so that Diego can get baptized. It's not a problem for them, they are getting along great and looking forward to Diego's baptism, and then their marriage. They're very faithful people, especially because they've experienced a lot.

At the beginning of the transfer, when we first met Diego, he was investigating lots of churches and had many doubts about each one. We answered all of his doubts perfectly and he understood what the church of Christ should be like, and he'd be really interested in the church until Pastor Bob from another church would roll around and tell him something else. I asked him how he felt in the other churches, to which he responded, "I didn't feel anything, except in yours, that's why I stopped going to the other churches." So we then answered any and all of his questions so that he understands the gospel perfectly in his head, and more important, we helped him recognize the spirit he feels when he reads the Book of Mormon and goes to church, and he understands what the spirit means.

For the past couple of weeks, he's told us he knows this church is true, and so Sunday night we programmed him to be baptized this Saturday. Here is how it happened: we had our appointment with him set for this coming Thursday, because while in church, he had told us that it was the only day possible, which would mean he couldn't be baptised this Saturday, but the next one (because we still need to teach Lesson 3 and 4.) Then after church, when we were in our pench, I felt the Spirit strongly letting me know that Diego was ready and he couldn't wait one more week for salvation, so I called him Sunday after church and said "Look, I know you just told me the only day you have time this week is Thursday, but we need to teach you now." He said okay, so we went to his wife's sister's house (Diego was there) taught him lesson 2, and then programmed him to be baptized this Saturday. I love the answer he gave me when I asked him to follow the example of Christ and be baptized. He responded, "Yeah, of course, and I was just about to ask you if I could be baptized this Saturday." I can honestly say that in all my mission, I've never had a baptism candidate so strong. He reads a chapter in the Book of Mormon every morning and every evening always, and then he does his prayers, and goes to church even if it rains, and goes to EVERY ACTIVITY THAT WE'VE HAD. He's a sweet guy and is going to be a great member. Anyway, so that's Diego, I'll probably tell you more about him next week after the baptism.

Aside from Diego, the work is advancing very well!!! It appears like we'll only have one baptism this transfer, but I wouldn't feel bad if I had zero baptisms. This transfer we've reactivated and kept active more families than I can count on my fingers and toes. (To reactivate someone means to find a member of the church who has stopped attending church for a period of time, and then help them go back to attending faithfully.) One lady we helped to reactivate told us we saved her life and her family. Every time we pass by her she gives us a box of alfajores (cookies) or facturas (donuts), and tells us thanks, so that's a plus, too! (She owns a kiosco.) She asked the branch president for a calling (volunteer job) so she can remain focused and involved in the church. Aside from that, we've helped many people out and the church is growing good here.

We had our interviews with President Villalba a few days ago (so now my next one won't be for another 3 months!) and it went good. Also, whenever we have zone meetings with the President, we also get one other thing....PACKAGES!!! Yes!!!! So I got my packages. I was so excited!!! I got two sweet packages, including the package from you guys with the candy, Called to Serve CD and World Cup Soccer game kit!!! I love it!!! Thanks Mom and Dad, Marisa and Holly and Scott and David! It was a great package and we enjoyed the candy very much and have been listening to the cd. I also got the package with the book from Dad, the Leadership Advice by Coach Wooden, which teaches people how to be successful in activities, sports, leadership, etc. (It helped me win the church ping pong tournament, I'll get to that later.) I've already read a lot of it and love it. I also got dearelders from Mom and Aunt Stacey, so thank you both for writing me! I loved all the letters and packages I got and am using them still, they're so great! I've already been applying some of the things learned from Dad's books, and of course both my comp and I have enjoyed all the candy!!

Well, the work's going good here, and I love our church here, especially the branch. I'm glad you asked me if I have given any talks in this area yet, because just yesterday, I gave a talk! I know you're probably surprised, well so was I when the branch president asked me 5 minutes before sacrament meeting started, if I would give a 15 minute talk!!!! I don't know why it's always me, I'm still junior comp, but I'm okay with with it!! Regardless, the president always asks me to do the fill in stuff, like improvise lessons in Sunday School, or preside in meetings, etc. Missionaries are just the ultimate backup, fill in, and do whatever, when someone fails, but it's great. Well, despite the lack of prep time, I gave a good talk. I received spiritual help and it went great. I decided to talk about the Holy Ghost, because just last transfer I had given a talk about that, so I gave my talk in a similar fashion. It was very easy, although I had been nervous when the president first asked me. I've been focusing on calling people to repentance a little bit more, so at the end of my talk, I read one of my new personal favorite scriptures 1 John 1:7-9, which says "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I like that because we all make mistakes and need to repent daily. So it all went well, although hopefully the next time one of us needs to give a last-minute talk he'll ask my comp to do it, although knowing my luck it'll just be me again. Equally (actually), I was very happy to give the talk, because after the first minute or so, the spirit calmed me down, and helped me, so much so, that I was happy to be up there and ended up actually talking for 20 minutes. Anyway, I am thinking that I should probably go to church with an emergency talk prepared always for when I get called on randomly.

Members have been treating us really good, too. We eat with them almost every day, usually pasta and chicken now that it's cold. The weather has really turned bitter cold here now. When it rains, everyone runs back and stays in their homes, not going to church or anywhere else. They just stay in their homes and make torta frita. (I looked it up online, and it is some sort of a fried biscuit.) This last Sunday it rained, (hence why the majority of people, including the sacrament meeting speakers, didn't show up.) It actually didn't even rain, it just looked like it was going to, which to Argentines qualifies as a downpour. It's a little frustrating at times, we'll ask investigators something like, "Will you go to church tomorrow", and they'll respond, "LOOK, the clouds look a little dark, so I'm going to sleep in!" Yes, it's Argentina, but I still love the people even though they all think they will melt or die if they are out in the rain. And despite the rain, Diego still went to church!!!

As an attempt to get more investigators to church, there is ping pong daily from 6 to 9 at night. My comp and I rarely go, in fact we've only gone twice and for about an hour each time, but the last time we went was Friday, after our English class. This time it was a big ping pong tournament and I won it, using some of Coach Wooden's advice and pure skill, ha ha, and also a 50 peso paddle from Walmart!!!! It was really close and intense, I don't know how I won, but just got lucky I guess.

No, I haven't seen cockroaches in this pench, but we have something much worse. We have spiders the size of plates! Really, they are the size of animals. The last spider I found in the pench, I was scared to even smack it with my shoe because the spider was so big, that I didn't think the shoe could kill it!!! Well, the shoe didn't, and the spider took off and went under the fridge!!! So it's still in our pench..................Anyway, great pench still although not a fan of the huge spiders, but they keep to themselves mostly.

The golf tournament Dad mentioned sounded really fun, I wish I could've gone, but will be there to play in a couple of years! Hope Holly and Scott enjoy the beach, and that everyone will enjoy doing whatever they are doing!

I love you all very much, and appreciate all you do for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm loving my mission and trying to do the best I can here, and with the Lord's help I've been able to help a few people!!! Loving the zone, pench, everything that's going down here, and of course, you guys!!

Love,
Eric
_____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment