Monday, June 7, 2010

All is well

The largest LDS church in South America, in Rosario, Argentina



Eric with another elder, perhaps doing divisions or splits


Hello family!!!

Just got through reading your email and seeing the pictures, it looks like you've been having fun!!! The motorcycle trip and the hike look like a blast!! I'm glad to see that. I too am sending some pics, though not that exciting, ha ha. I especially like the pictures of the snake Dad caught. The only area I've seen snakes so far was in Feliciano, and it was only twice.

Right now I'm writing before we leave for Rosario to play futbol (soccer) and eat at the buffet again!! The whole zone will be there, which will be fun, and then tomorrow we have zone conference. I don't think I mentioned it, but last P-day we played soccer at the biggest LDS church in South America! I took a picture, but it's hard to tell the size. The road in front of it is all cobblestone!! It's very nice and reminded me of Spain, except that it's a VERY WIDE ROAD! So I'll send the photo so you can see it.

You asked me about the family that Elder Petersen and I found while doing divisions together. Yes, we just knocked on the door, and the lady answered, and when I told her our names and that we were missionaries, she just said "Pasen" (enter) and let us come right on in, it was cool! She was just one of those awesome contacts, and we gave the first lesson to the family right then. The spirit was very strong, and we committed them to be baptized right then! It was like a miracle because she was MARRIED, because there are so many people here who would like to be baptized but can't because they aren't married. But that family is not in my area, it is Elder Petersen's area, and he says they are all doing good and getting ready for baptism!

Everything is going good in Casilda, our branch here has around 20 members who generally attend, so we're all very close and good friends, which makes it very easy for me to give talks and announcements weekly. Being secretary is a fun job, too, I really enjoy it, although I have to be very careful with what I do. For example, right now I'm walking around with a thousand pesos from tithing and fast offerings that I need to go deposit, and the Church card, so it's a little scary because I'd hate to lose it. I'm not worried, though, Casilda is a very peaceful area, there's hardly any crime, and it's a very safe area.

A funny thing about Argentines is that they think it's very dangerous. Every time we ask for directions at night, they'll tell us how to get to the house we're looking for, but then they tell us not to go there or we might die! Well, there are plenty of dangerous Argentine areas, for example Rosario, but Casilda is not one of them. The people here are really good though, and great to work with.

Yes, we had the 200 year Argentina celebration, although here in Casilda it wasn't too big a deal. They had a parade and that was about it.

It rains a lot here in Argentina, and very strong. The weather's changing still and some days are pleasant and others very cold. Everyone is gearing up for the World Cup. I hear that every house we pass by will have a soccer game on the TV. We can't watch the games, but we'll know what is going on.

Yes, we have many strange bugs here. Yesterday we saw a spider almost as big as my hand, literally. It was like an animal!

I'm doing great here, but now I have to leave already. I love you all very much and love all you do for me!!!!! I'm glad to see you're having fun and enjoying the great weather!!!

Love you all!!!
Eric

______________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment